Some of you have asked for a brief description of what is happening with the US v. Manning court-martial.
I’ll let you in on what I suspect. Please note that I have never talked to either counsel or reviewed evidence. I base my assumptions on what I’ve seen in the news and my own experiences with the court-martial process. In no way is it comparable to the insight possessed by his current counsel. They know tons more than I do.
This week, he is being arraigned. What is that, you ask? I could tell you, but, instead, I’ll show you by providing an annotated script from the Military Judges’ Bench Book (PDF format). My assumptions are in red.
As for future motions, I expect the following, at a minimum:
- Speedy Trial
- Illegal Pretrial Punishment (for the stuff that happened at Quantico)
- Compel Discovery (I can’t imagine how horribly voluminous this must already be)
- Unlawful Command Influence (for comments by the POTUS some months ago)
- Sanity Board (under Rule for Court-Martial 706) for both his current mental state and his mental state at the time of the alleged offenses.
- Compel the production of witnesses.
- For a new/reopened Article 32 Investigation.
- Requests for Depositions
- Suppression (potentially of a variety of things)